Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Financial Journal







I want this, I want that, I want it all. Isn't that the mentality we end up having after having everything our way. Keeping up with our friends, always looking all styled and profiled. Getting the compliments and being the centre of attention. Ouch!!! That hurts, doesn't it? It hurts to admit the truth and even more painful when you are paying the bills. Knowing fully, you didn't need the jacket or those shoes but you went ahead and purchased them.

I am not here to condemn you, truth be told, I am warning myself and learning my lessons like you. There is no need for the regret table to be drawn out and we rehearse the decisions we took, knowing we didn't need to go down that route. However, it is time to reposition ourselves, change our paradigm and do things differently. I know I want to. What about you?

Funny how it all starts, its only a bag we say to ourselves. I am sure I can make-up the difference. We use the bag and after a while we see something else we need. When did we get to the place where our wants and needs got mixed up, and we messed up the budget we started working on, at the beginning of the year? How about those New Year resolutions we made to ourselves? When did we forget the promises we made about our vision, purpose and goals for the future? This is where I ask, what's your financial vision for today, tomnorrow and the next five to ten years?

You may be in that boat with a sinking feeling, you don't know what you own or have in the bank? You don't have a financial action plan and you want your finances back on track. I don't have the answers but I can tell you one or two things that might help you.

It starts with a conscious decision to do better financially. It isn't just about saving the money but invest as well. Look, we have all made the mistake but there is no need beating yourself up now. Its time to do something about it. The big '30' beckons for me and I'm asking myself about the future. I have questions about my finances and it hit me; the mistakes I have made but can't go back and change. I can only aim from now on to do better. It is never too late. Don't get me wrong, looking back, it hurts. I knew what I was doing. There is no need playing that card of 'oh, I didn't know.' Ignorance has no part in this. It was all me. I made those decsions, living for the moment and not thinking about the tomrrow I was entering into. It takes a lot to be so honest with myself but that's the first step to making things right.

What have I done so far? Every month, I have a budget and I keep track of my expenses. Some months I do better than others. However, I have no plans to stop, I am going to keep at it until I get it right. I have set my financial goals and I now keep a financial journal. I am also reading books that teach you how best to manage your finances and invest the little you have now because tomorrow, it will be a whole lot more.

My heart bleeds at my financial mistakes when I look back but crying about it won't change things. Its time for a financial make-over. It is never too late. Change your mind about those habits and start living in today because you want your financial freedom for tomorrow. Cut some cards, leave some at home when you are going out. Only take what you need. Draw up your shopping list and only buy what you need.

As for looking all styled and profiled, learn to recycle, that's what I am doing from now on. You don't like what I have on, please run along and fix your eyes on someone else. I look fab! bye!!!

I have been reading the books above this blog entry and I pray you find them useful. Invest in your mind and change your mind about your financial future in order to gain your freedom. Start keeping a financial journal, you will be amazed, the difference it makes when you know your financial habits and patterns.

Selah!!


Images from Amazon Books
http://www.amazon.co.uk/

1 comment:

Dolly said...

Thanks for sharing