Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2007

AFRICCHIC - Proud To Be African



I have interviewed people and wrote features in the few years I have been journalist. I must say without a doubt; this is one subject I am so proud to be associated with. It was an experience I would sit through again and again. There are people you meet and you are forced to ask, why aren't we all so humble and unassuming? I wish I had the answer to that but I don't. Hence, I won't even try to give you my philosophical response. I would mess it up and fail woefully. Yes that's right, I am not afraid or ashamed to tell you that I don't have the answer. You figure it out and let me know.

Moving on, Runway Africa is the brainchild of Clarissa Abban, a Ghanian-American and her vision is to see Africa celebrated for all its beauty. I say why the hell not? Finally, its not about the images of war or starvation, Africa is rich with raw materials and great wealth that is yet to be discovered. I know the West is rich and thriving but I'll let you in on a secret; the wealthiest place on earth is not Europe or the Americas. It is right in Africa, there is natural resources, down beneath the earth, yet to be discovred and I will take that to the World Bank any time, any day and it wil stick. Oh hell yes! I said it. I refuse to apologise for saying so. Check!

The first face for Runway Africa is Angela Asare, you will recognise her as the Ghanian contestant in the 2006 Miss Universe pageant. She won the Miss Congeniality award. She is truly all things African and the reason she got involved; to celebrate Africa for its beauty and not its failures. Finally, we are beginning to realise we have a lot to offer to the world. It has always been there but for a long time, we were waiting for hand-outs. I say its time to fend for ourselves and raise our own profile and stop waiting for the different NGO's to do the job for us. Oh yes, I'm on a roll and like I said, no apology necessary.

Runway Africa is about celebrating African Arts and fashion. It is about 'AfriChic'. The new Afro-eccentric. Here is a new one, 'Afropolitan' just like you have Cosmopolitan, I'm proud to say that I am Afropolitan.

I could go on and on about Runway Africa and the fact that Clarissa is only 22yrs old, yet she has a vision so big, I see it becoming a landmark event. I could tell you about the designers showcasing their work but that will be taking the fun of discovery away from you. I would prefer you see it for yourself.


Image: Courtesy of Runway Africa

To find out more, visit:

http://www.runwayafrica.com/
http://www.myspace.com/runwayafrica

No comments: