Pages

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

New Dawn

For some people, turning 30 is a scary time because that’s when you start asking yourself what you have done with your life. It was my birthday on the 28th and though I have no intentions of telling anyone my age, I must say I woke up with a sense of peace and direction for the future. I can say without a doubt, I am always very hard on myself and my father has done all he can to let me know he is proud of me. Don’t get me wrong, I am grateful for the gift of life and I’m equally proud of myself but there is always that sense of urgency that I can do better. For months before my birthday, there was an endless tug of war going on within me and I really couldn’t explain the feeling. Then I read an article where it was explained that it's the growing up process when a person is getting closer to the big number and the morning of life starts.

Sometimes, it’s hard to explain and there are times when I feel like I am just being lazy and we all have such moments. What makes the difference is what you do after you realise the phase of life you are in. Right now there is so much I want to do but I also understand that Rome wasn’t built in a day and you can’t build a castle in one week. It takes time or you might as well build a sand castle and know that after a while, it will come down. My desire is to one day leave a legacy that will last generations after me. I want to look back and even after I leave this earth; people will remember me for the positive contribution I made to the world. I pray that is your desire because together we can make our world better, one day at a time.

For days, I was looking forward to my birthday. My friends and family made it a day to remember. I had so much fun, I can’t even begin to tell you about it but what moved me was when my sister who lives in Nigeria called me and said she bought credit on her phone so she could call me on my big day. No matter how dysfunctional your family is, times like this help you to realise that each individual is different to the other for a reason and purpose. Imagine if you all sound and look the same, that would be a lot of photocopies. I am grateful I have a family.

What matters right now is knowing that it's a new season in my life. I plan to make every day count and pursue my dream with passion and a burning desire to be a success in life not just for me but to be a source of inspiration to those around me.

I refuse to be afraid of the unknown but I chose to look into the unknown and discover what it’s all about. Dream I shall because my dream and all that I hope to be will become a reality.

No comments: