Pages

Monday, August 07, 2006

Getting There

It was day one today on Guardian Unlimited. I would say a good start because I worked on the quiz questions and helped to update some information on the money desk. I was happy because I had work to do. The assistant news editor read my piece on Christian fiction, the one I mentioned earlier. She said it was interesting but they don't do stuff like that. That was fine by me; at least I got feedback on my work. She also mentioned she would pass it on to the editor of the books section.

I totally enjoyed my day and I have a plan up my sleeve for tomorrow but I am not going to tell you about it. That would spoil the fun of it. You just come back here tomorrow to read all about it.

At the end of the day, we walked to the train station together and we got talking, she gave me really useful advice, sometimes when on an internship programme, maybe what you need to do is sit and watch people work and see how they do it. It is hectic and for a national newspaper, there is so much to learn. I have always said to myself that I was a features writer but there is absolutely nothing wrong if I also develop news writing skills. I intend to do just that and hope for the best. I was pleased when she said to speak to the other guys around and ask questions. Hearing that from her really encouraged me. Don’t be afraid she said, just ask. I am going to ask and learn.

Her advice really helped me to get last week into perspective when I thought I wasn't doing anything but I learnt so much. I already told you about the features desk, so there is no need to go back there but on the Pictures desk, I learnt how important and integral a picture is to a news story. Sometimes, the picture says it all. Take a good look at the current crisis in the Middle East and the images we see on our televison screens and daily newspapers. What gets at you? For me, it will have to be the images of young children who are getting hurt and those who have lost their lives. Pictures definitely speak volumes. Ask a pictures editor and they will tell you the same thing.

As for today, it has been productive and I am praying tomorrow will even be more productive.

Looking forward to it.

No comments: