Pages

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Classroom

When I blogged about my experience at the Guardian under the title “Getting There,” I wasn’t sure what to expect for the rest of the week but I was looking forward to it. It was and has been a wonderful experience. I learnt so much, I can’t even begin to tell you all about it.

During the course of the week, I wrote a number of pieces, the numerous feedbacks I got on my work and writing skills really encouraged me and made me want to do better with each opportunity I was given. I learnt the opening paragraph of a news story is what makes or breaks your ability to keep your reader interested. I also learnt to tighten up on my writing. There is no way I could have learnt all of that on the street and it gave me a good sense of direction from those in the industry. To me that was immensely useful.

When I went to the Guardian, I didn’t go in with the mindset of someone who had been published in other newspapers or magazines before. I went in with the mindset of a child who was learning to walk and that really helped me to get as much as I could from the whole experience.

When the intended terror threat to UK airports broke, it was amazing to see how news rooms react and respond to breaking news. It was like a classroom and I soon realised I was in the classroom of life so I could learn lessons that will stand me good and stead for the future.

News is about facts and you have no right to distort what you are reporting, that is the Journalism I have come to know and love and I pray I am not being naïve in hoping there are those out there who would like for it to remain that way.

I am looking forward to the final week when I go back to my favourite desk and learn some more. Journalism is not glamorous but it is rewarding if you work hard. Nothing will ever be handed to you, you have to fight for it and I have every intention of doing just that.

No comments: