Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2008

When Those You Thought Would Get It Just Don't Get It.




Life is full of ironies but that should never come as a surprise to you or me. I recently told a friend, nothing should surprise me anymore. While I can't claim to have seen all life has to offer. However, I have seen enough for me to get to the point, where no matter what others do, I should not be shocked.

I am not sure why certain things still surprise me as such. Maybe it’s because I am just that way or were my parents too protective of me as a child? Did they shield me from the uglier side of life and now I am wondering why folk are mean and nasty to each other?

Don't get me wrong, I have seen life for what it is but not all that it is. There is still a whole lot to experience and I am looking forward to it.

It just feels so wrong when you have known people for so long and they pull a funny one on you. You are left wondering; I thought I knew you and have a million questions but no answers.

It’s even worse when those you expected would understand a thing or two just don't get it.

I was having a conversation with a girlfriend the other day and she said: "Well people do that all the time, I am used to it," due to an incident that had occurred earlier in the day.

I thought to myself, that's not normal for people to mistreat folks like they are garbage, ready to be thrown into the bin. It is wrong and I don't care what your excuses are, it is wrong. Nonetheless, people do get away with things you and I might never consider doing.

Now, that is not to say we are saints and we never mess up because we all mess up. However, there are different kinds of mess ups. Sometimes you never know what you are capable of until you are pushed far enough to fight back.

It made me think and I realised, when we become desensitised to something, it does not shock us any more and it becomes normal. But that is not the kind of normal I know.

This brings me to my point, when those you thought would get it just don’t get it.

I refuse to get personal but I must say it hurt and came as a funny surprise but that's another reason why certain things and people's actions should not shock me anymore.

It’s just so funny that they don't get it but that’s just life and I don’t apologise for it. If anything, it made me grow. That’s what it should be about, growing through all of life’s tests and experiences.

I am beginning to understand the title of Lauryn Hill’s last album, The Mis-Education of Lauryn Hill.

This is my education.


Image: Google

No comments: