Pages

Monday, April 16, 2007

Giving Your All For Nothing


So, you want to become a Journalist? Then get ready to work for nothing or peanuts before you make it big. Let's tell it like it is, have a backup plan for your life. Journalism was never my first choice of career. Whenever anyone asked me what I wanted to do with myself, I was fast to let them know; "I want to be a lawyer." Well, I am in a poetic justice kinda way. My words make up for the big gown, wig and courtroom. I changed my mind when I realised that I don't have the guts to stomach the type of crimes I read about and the fact that people got away with things that were just baffling.

Now I am a journalist, am I in love with it. Oh, hell yes! You have to love what you do or don't do it at all. That's why when you get those moments when you feel like it isn't worth it, you overlook them and just keep the fire burning or those moments will burn you out.

Sometimes you excel the most in an area you stumbled into. I stumbled into journalism and not for a second do I regret it. It is hard work, a whole lot of late night and sometimes you have to give your all for nothing. That's when it gets hard. I am having one of those moments right now, where I am thinking to myself, why didn't you just go for a career where you have a 9 to 5 job and you don't have to kill yourself for this. But you know something, today is all it is. Tomorrow will be better. It may not look like it but I have a dream. Dr King wasn't the only one with a dream. I have no plans to let go or bury it. It is mine and I am going to make it work no matter what.

This is the tricky part. When it comes to journalism and in order to get to that place you envision for yourself; you sometimes have to give your all for nothing. There are times when it feels like you are playing but I tell you 2am at night over words is no joke. Then you get those moments when you say to yourself and all this for nothing. That can be real hard but as the adage goes, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

It might not look like a whole lot right now but if you keep going, it will become much. That's what I say to myself when I am having a moment like I'm having right now. I am a little angry and if you don't mind, really p***ed off. Then again, that will change in a few hours when the task is out of the way and it becomes an achievement.

No matter what, just keep on walking because the plus outweighs the minuses. I could go on about all that I have gained but I'll stop here and keep giving life my all.

Just keep walking. Your destination is closer than you think.

No comments: