Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Been There. Done That. Got A T-Shirt To Prove It



The first time I bought Essence magazine,I remember thinking, not bad. Not bad at all but with each month, they step up the game. Now, I buy it religiously and look forward to each edition because there is always something in there for me. From the personal stories that lift you up to the tips and advice on how to buy a home or deal with that work situation. Fair to say there are things I don't agree with but on the whole, they do a pretty good job. They don't try to be black America, they are BLACK AMERICA. Susan Taylor knows the right words to make your eye all teary. Angela Burt-Murray is a beauty with her words.

I could go on and on about the different sections but what stands out for me are the features. From the rape crisis in the Congo to the issue of Aids that is ravaging black America. They tell it like it is. I appreciate the honesty and even when readers don't agree with them, they publish the letters no matter what the reader is ranting on about.

Running a magazine is cut throat but their house is in order; some good house keeping skills I must say. I could go on and on but they have done it again with this month's issue, "The Bold & Beautiful" edition. The little I have read of it, I can say there is power in forgiveness. If you didn't think it was okay to forgive those that hurt you, please bear in mind that we all have something to learn from Kai Leigh Harriot.

There is power in forgivesness. She may be confined to a wheel chair but she has the power to command the respect of those around her at such a tender age.

I'll say no more except when you get angry at some people, think of Kai and what she stands for. Maybe you too will find it in you to forgive that man or woman who betrayed your trust.


Image from Essence.com
www.essence.com

No comments: