Pages

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Working As A Journo

It is proven by statistics that most people end up not working in the area of what they studied. As a child, my dream was to become a lawyer. Not for a minute did I think I would end up in England let alone study Journalism but today, that's what I am doing. Its hard work and you have to be ready to knock on every door. Sometimes you get a break and bam, you are on your way, for others the story is a little different. To date, I have learnt you must be versatile to survive in the Media Industry, it changes every day and you have to be up to date. Know your market, your audience and above all, endeavour to be the best at your craft, not easy but work at it. It's like a manufacturer; they know their product more than anyone else. A Journalist has to know what he or she is talking about, we are not perfect and mistakes are possible but at all cost aim to avoid them. Saves you a lot of trouble.

Since I embarked on this journey, I have learnt valuable lessons and met people who are willing to help you get better at your craft. I have had the opportunity of working with those who have been in the industry for years.

Sometimes I ask myself, what I was thinking when I filled out the forms for university and picked Journalism but to date, it's been good and I am looking forward to tomorrow. It makes me happy when my friend calls me up to tell me, she did a search on me on Google and materials I wrote in the past came up. That would make any one proud and I am proud of me. So I did a search on myself and my world was I surprised.

These are links to features I wrote in the past and had no knowledge it was online with the exception of NUJ Student ADM.

http://nujstudents.blogspot.com/

This I co- wrote with the gentleman whose name is also on the article. He is the editor of Crux magazine and I would like to use this opportunity to say thank you.

http://www.cruxmagazine.tv/magazine/onlineedition/2004/crux_dec_2004.pdf

A feature I wrote while at The Voice Newspaper in June 2005 but found it on a different website

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1:117209954

http://www.highbeam.com/doc.aspx?DOCID=1P1:117219327&tab=lib

This was the ultimate for me, just absolutely fantastic. Finding my article in full on the Voice website - Thanks Vic, you're a star

http://www.voice-online.co.uk/content.php?show=7276

There will be many more and I am more determined today to work hard and make my dream a reality.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Good Luck, from one writer to another.

Lola

lolaspaghetti.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oh my days Belinda. When you first contacted me about two years ago to write for us, you were eager but unpolished, full of potential yet inexperienced, but today, what I see before me is a journalist who is now confident, capable of objectivity, well-versed, broadminded and can easily compete for gold in a cutthroat world. Well done Belinda; you deserve all good things because you have worked mighty hard to get here. God bless you richly, Kofo @ STREETBRAND