Pages

Friday, December 08, 2006

From Here On


If you remember the movie, Forrest Gump starring Tom Hanks, you might remember the line, "Life is like a box of chocolate. You never know what you are going to get." That's the best I can do with that quote. Catch this, Life is a field of dreams and you can take what you want but you are never guaranteed of what you are going to get from that dream.

When you start, it is just a dream, some of us aspire to become something, some of us work for it and some of us, well lets just say we dream about it, talk about it, dance around it but never do anything about it. If that sounds like you, all is not lost. You can still get back in the game after all; life is game of miles, yards and inches, what determines your success is how far you are willing to go. What are you willing to give up and are you ready to pay the price so you can gain the prize.

Life is indeed is a journey and so is success. It is a process but the beauty is that you make progress. Anyhow, I better stop with the philosophy of life or let’s say my philosophy. Might be way different to yours but at least we have the beauty of life in common. There she goes again.

So what's the crux of the matter? Life will never wait until you are ready before it decides to move on. You must move with it because it waits for no one. It is down to you what you take from it and how you use. Now I have been doing a lot of thinking about life in general, the future and what I really want out of life. The question isn't about what life can offer me rather it is what can I add to it? Great men and women have done extraordinary things before us and we are still living with their legacy. What legacy are you and I going to leave behind when our time is up? You can answer that for yourself in the confines of your private space. While I remain exclusive about my decision, I would like to point out that life has given me so much more than I could ever imagine and it isn't always great. I have cried, I have toiled and I am still toiling but it is not in vain.

I have realised the grandeur of overnight success is just a myth. Yes it happens for a few people that way. Well that is if you are willing to sell your soul on reality television to make grade D celebrity status. Good luck to you but there are a few of us who are just not bold enough to share ourselves with the whole world that way. This is the point I am trying to get across; there is a certain degree of pride you feel when you achieve something you mapped out to do. You set your mind on it, kept your focus and no matter what came your way, you promised yourself, come hell or high water, this thing ain't (forgive my choice of word) grinding me down. Now that is what I call tenacity; holding on against all odds.

This is where I stop my current craze about falling in love with life. However I will let you know that in the last one year, great things have happened to me. The highlight of it all was writing for The Guardian. No one can ever take that away from me. Don't get me wrong, I worked hard for each opportunity and maximised every breakthrough that came my way. Maybe that's the reason one of my favourite books is called Maximize the Moment. Go get yourself a copy, some great stuff in there.

So what’s next? Well let’s say from here on, I am on fire with the dream that won’t and refuses to die. It is alive and well, and like fire shut up in my bones, it is kicking. Watch this space!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: