Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Stella Damasus: More Than A Pretty Face

More than a pretty face, Damasus is politically conscious of the challenges which besiege Nigeria, as the nation enters a new era. “Nigeria is the way it is right now because of our mindset and attitude towards everything around us. Everyone wants to acquire wealth by all means at the expense of others. There’s a lot of impatience, dishonesty, and injustice,” she says. Earlier this year, she joined the youth movement and took part in the rally, Enough Is Enough, in Abuja, the nation’s capital. Asked if she was concerned about the impact it could have on her career, Damasus said “No, I was and I’m not afraid at all. I believe in freedom of speech, so I didn’t feel threatened that my career would be at stake. I wanted to express myself, and I have no regrets whatsoever. I took part in the rally because I was tired of sitting at home and complaining. I have children, nieces and nephews, who are going to grow up in a country where things are not right. I decided to stand up with the youth of the country and let my voice be heard for the sake of my children and the upcoming generation.”

Stella Damasus: More Than A Pretty Face

No comments: